Now that it’s wintertime, roasted snacks will go down a treat! They can be used as an appetizer, a snack, or for afternoon tea.
For the chestnut recipe, you can either buy them or pick them yourself – in the Blue Mountains for example, they offer self-picking! For the second recipe, you can use any of your favourite nuts and make your own mix!
20-30 Mins in 200°C Oven
1. Place the flat part on a tray. Cross the top with a sharp knife, leaving the skin on.
2. Cook in oven until partially open. Serve them warm.
Roasted Nuts in Garlic or Chili
5-10 Mins in 200°C Oven
1. Place nuts on a tray. Season with ground chili, cayenne pepper and ground garlic.
4 sweet potatoes
1 very small green capsicum
1 very small red capsicum
2 cloves of garlic
500 g mince beef
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 Tbsp dried basil or 1-2 Tbsp fresh basil
1/3 cup grated cheddar cheese
1. Preheat oven to 225°C.
2. Place sweet potatoes and tomatoes in the oven and bake for one hour.
3. Deseed capsicum and cut into small stripes. Peel and crush garlic. Cook in a pan with olive oil until soft.
4. Add mince to the pan and cook for 10 min. Season with salt and pepper. Cut basil finely (if using fresh) and add basil and cheese to mince and mix well.
5. Take out potatoes and tomatoes and place on a plate. Make a cross into the potatoes and squeeze sides of the potatoes, Pour mince over them. Serve with tomato and decorate with basil.
3 celery stalks
1 Tbsp. oil
2 Tbsp. flour (G)
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
3 cups water
1 stock cube (veg or chicken)
1 cup milk (L)
2 cups rice
400g chicken fillets
Salt and pepper to taste
30g cabanossi sausages
500g frozen peas and corn
Slice celery and mushrooms. Peel and dice onion.
Cook celery, mushroom and onion in a pan with oil for 5 minutes or until soft.
Add flour and tomato paste. Gradually add water, stock and milk, and whisk well. Finally add rice. Cook for 5 minutes.
Cut chicken into small pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Slice cabanossi and add to pan with chicken, peas and corn. Add tabasco (optional), and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is soft.
Turn off heat. Put a lid on pan and let sit for 5 minutes. It is now ready to serve.