This Smoked Salmon and Spinach Cake, and Prosciutto Wrapped Figs with Goats Cheese are perfect for bringing in the New Year – they’re something a little more special, but don’t require a big effort in the kitchen. Both dishes are gluten and nut free, and the cheese, milk and sour cream can be substituted for lactose free alternatives.
Smoked Salmon and Spinach Cake
10 min + 35 min in 175°C oven
1/2 bunch dill
100 ml milk
1/3 tub light sour cream
Pepper to taste
200g smoked salmon
1. Preheat oven to 175°C.
2. Line a spring cake tin with lightly greased baking paper.
3. Rinse spinach and heat on the stove for 5 min to get rid of any excess water.
4. Place the spinach on the bottom of the cake tin. Finely cut the dill and mix into the spinach (save some dill for decoration if you like).
5. In a bowl mix the eggs , milk and sour cream.
6. Add the mixture to the spinach and gently press a fork through the egg mixture.
7. Cook in the oven for 35 min.
8.Take out of the oven. Let it cool if serving cold. Lift the cake onto a plate.
9. Roll salmon into roses and place on cake with a bit of dill.
Prosciutto Wrapped Figs with Goats Cheese
5 min + 15 min in 200°C (serves 4-8 people)
40-80g soft goats cheese
4-8 slices figs
250g rocket leaves
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Trim figs and cut a cross in the top and fill with cheese.Wrap each fig in a slice of prosciutto.
3. Place them on a greased baking dish and bake in the oven for about 15 min until cheese melts and figs are tender.
4. Rinse salad leaves and place on a plate. Place figs on top. Bon appetite!